Tuesday, November 5, 2013

AMB - 1/4 of the way through the year; some numbers...

Where did the time go?  It seems just yesterday that we had our first AMB class (that I, um, er, missed because I was in the Galapagos) (and yes, I realize that's name-dropping, but it was so incredible that I feel compelled to bring it up lest the last three months wipe it entirely from my brain, and oh what a shame that would be).  And here it is, the end of three months.
Blue-footed Booby, Galapagos.  Sadly, not a Colorado bird.

Whew!  And Yikes!  There's still so much to do.  And oh, heavens, there's so much to learn.  Shhh - don't tell my mentor - but there's also so much to read (I've done *most* of the required reading, but I have stacks of the "optional stuff" lined up), and also so much homework to complete.

And so many other things to do.

Not to mention a bunch of birds to see.

It seems a good time to do a quick review of the AMB requirements, and compare where I am to where I need to be at the end of the next 9 months.
AMB Field Trip to Castlewood Canyon
not so many birds, but oh, the habitat!

First up is a year-long assignment:  the AMB Guide to Colorado Habitats and Birds.  This is an exercise in looking at 30 distinct Colorado habitats (we are one of the richest states in the nation for different habitat, owing to the diversity provided from the plains to the mountains) and determining what birds are to be expected in any given habitat and then tracking our sightings by season for the year.  I'll punt on this one and just say that I have my 30 habitat lists "done";  well, at least round one is complete.  There will be tons of tweaking over the remaining seasons.

Next up:  Identify and list at least 200 bird species in Colorado.  We've been told that we can use birds we've seen prior to entering the program, but where's the sport in that?  I've started a fresh list as of August 1, and have tallied 166 birds.  Just 34 more to go by July 31. (I suspect that most of my classmates have a similar tally, since we're seeing pretty much the same birds on a weekly basis.)
Surf Scoter (not quite #555)
Rocky Mountain Lake Park
kinda/sorta AMB field trip
An aside, for my friends who are number-sluts like me:  that Black Scoter I saw last week?  It was bird species #555 of the year for me.  As I've said before, my life list is much larger than someone with my limited experience could reasonably hope for, but circumstances have been in my favor.  All disclaimers and such aside, who doesn't love having a nice round number like 555 associated with a cool bird like the scoter?

The rest of the AMB requirements are a mixed bag, in terms of progress.  Identify birds on the ABC Watch List?  Check.  Complete profiles of three species?  Ooops;  none completed.  Field activities: out of roughly 20 suggested activities, I've completed just one.  With 5 required, that's another Ooops.  But "Bird ten sites on the Front Range and complete trip reports":  check!  Complete a rare bird sight record form:  check!  (Thank heavens for rarities.)  Participate in at least one Christmas bird count (well, that's coming) and at least one Fall or Spring count:  check.   Volunteer at least 10 hours for ASGD:  6 hours done. 

Coopers Hawk
Denver City Park (my "backyard")
9/22/13
There are some items that are just not possible to complete yet.  Backyard birding is a year long thing;  so far, I've done 7 of the 24 lists that are required over the course of the year.  Record the breeding of 5 species?  Well, um, that depends on some birds getting busy breeding, and it's not quite time yet.  Lead a field trip:  in the planning stages.  Research and prepare a written research paper on a bird-related topic:  er, I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Oh, and those test numbers.  Yeah.  Test number one is in the bag;  it seems a million years ago.  Test number two (labeled "ducks") is not too far in the offing.  Oh dear.  I'll talk to you later;  I think I need to go review some ducks........

AMB Class 2013-2014, Crow Valley Campground, Sept 2013

1 comment:

  1. I wanna be a "numbers slut", TOO!
    Wow, did we, do we really have that many assignments? I am still in sparrow-land! I spent last Friday (6hours to be exact) going over homework. Still need to fill in some habitats. Now it's Duck Dynasty time.. I sometimes don't even know where to start..backyard bird list, volunteer hours, habitat lists, correcting sparrow homework..
    Thanks for the pics, Judy

    ReplyDelete