Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Four Percent Bird

The post-test message comes:  “Score 96% Kudos to you!”

Well, of course, I already knew that.  It translates to one out of 25.  One lousy bird that I missed. 

Some people see 96% and say Kudos!  That’s good!

I see 96% and say Damn!  I missed one.  That sucks!

But, as I said I knew that.  And, truth be told, I was lucky to just miss one.  I got really, really lucky with the MacGillivray’s Warbler.  I wasn’t real sure on the Ring-necked Duck.  That Blue Grosbeak:  lucky I had gotten a decent photo very recently, or maybe I wouldn’t have known the bird by the rusty wings.

But still, it stung that the one bird I missed – the four percenter – was a bird I’ve actually seen:
Lesser Goldfinch, Wonderland Lake, Boulder, CO
5/29/12

I vow that I won’t miss this bird again!


No comments:

Post a Comment